Coordinated Transportation Services
Coordinated transportation services are achieved when two or more entities work together in delivering one or more components of a transportation service so they can increase their capacity to provide trips, as well as realize cost savings. Coordination activities can range from sharing passenger trips and vehicles to collaborating on facilities, training, purchasing, or maintenance. Fully coordinated services may evolve into an integrated brokerage in which one entity schedules and collects payment for trips performed by several providers or into full consolidation of several transportation services under one agency.
Principles of Transportation Coordination
- Coordination among transportation providers and human service, medical, educational, workforce development, and social service organizations is essential to the ability of communities to effectively respond to people’s mobility needs.
- Coordination is a local phenomenon, aided and supported by state and federal policies, funding programs, and other resources.
- The NCMM supports coordination within the entire family of transportation service providers as well as between the transportation community and local partners.
- Federal Coordination
- State Coordination
- Local Coordinated Services
- Build Capacity for Transportation Coordination
- Coordination: It’s the Law. An information brief that identifies the many federal funding programs under which transportation coordination between federally funded agencies and public transportation providers is mandated.
- Economic Benefits of Coordinating Human Service Transportation and Transit Services. This report presents general coordination concepts, strategies for increasing coordination, and the benefits and industry-wide impacts of coordination.
More information on coordination is available at the following NCMM “By Topic” resource pages:
- Coordinated Transportation Planning
- Coordinated Transportation Policy and Reports
- Coordinated Transportation Strategies
- Glossary of Transportation Terms
- Acronyms of Organizations, Programs, and Commonly Used Terms